AITEC: Seedling Nursery
The vegetable seedling nursery introduces advanced seedling production using trays, growth medium and irrigation. Seeds are the foundation of agriculture. Regardless of the technology implemented, high yield and crop quality are dependent on high-quality seeds. Seed quality plays an important role in the production of vegetable crops. Characteristics such as trueness to variety, germination percentage, purity, vigor, and appearance are important for production, income and nutrition. Quality seeds are grown in the nursery and used for the farm as well as sold to farmers for additional revenue. The nursery is organized as a financially independent unit where profits from selling seedlings are returned to the rest of the farm and to local farmers to ensure long term functionality and scaling up of the nursery business unit.
Advantages of Using Seedlings
- Uniformity due to planting of homogeneous seedlings.
- Improved final field layout and more efficient harvesting.
- Minizine loss of expensive seed with effective use of plugs.
- Reduced risk as a result of shorter exposure in the field to pests and diseases
- Earlier yields and improved competitiveness = higher prices for crops.
- Minimized germination losses in harsh climatic conditions.
- Reduced time in the field results in water and other resource conservation.
- Improved seasonal planning and crop cycling.